Naturopathic Protocol for Immune System Health and Health Maintenance
By John Strangis
have compiled this list of items which could be beneficial towards your health. If you are feeling sick, try this naturopathic protocol. If you are not sick, it is still a great idea to include all or at least some of the items below for general health maintenance purposes.
Don’t forget, moderate exercise, both aerobic and anaerobic, is great to practice while following a natural approach for your heath.
1. Garlic – The health benefits of garlic are well known. It possesses antiviral, antibacterial, anti cancer and immune boosting properties. If you are sick, consume raw garlic, it can be mixed in salads or salsas if you feel uncomfortable eating it raw. Consume at least 3-4 cloves with every meal. If you cannot stomach it, cut the garlic into pieces and take with a glass of water just as if you were taking a pill.
2. Kale – Extremely nutritious cruciferous vegetable, good to give your body all it needs to fight infection and more. The easiest and most tastiest way to eat kale would be to make some kale chips. Remove middle stems from the kale and cut the leaves into pieces coat with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and black pepper to taste, then spread on a cooking tray and place in an oven preheated at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes until crisp.
3. Olive leaf – Taking olive leaf extract which you can buy at most health stores is excellent. Olive leaf contains natural antioxidants, it is a potent full spectrum antibiotic and antiviral (it contains a natural reverse transcriptase inhibitor). It naturally strengthens the immune system. If you have access to an olive tree, cut off a few branches, dry the leaves and make a tea with them. Bring water to a boil, turn the heat off and add 1 tbsp of crumbled dry olive leaves. Let steep for 15 minutes, add honey or any other natural sweetener to taste. Drink 3 to 4 cups a day for optimum immune system strengthening.
Feeling sick? Try my cinnamon and honey olive leaf tea.
Olive leaf boosts the immune system, is a full spectrum antibiotic, antiviral and antifungal. High in antioxidants and great for cardiovascular health. It even protects you from radiation!
The combination of honey and cinnamon has been used for centuries in both traditional Chinese and Ayurveda, a system of healing founded 5000 years ago in India. The two ingredients with unique healing abilities have a long history as a home remedy. Cinnamon is one of the oldest spices known to mankind and honey’s popularity has continued throughout history. Cinnamon’s essential oils and honey’s enzyme that produces hydrogen peroxide qualify the two “anti-microbial” foods with the ability to help stop the growth of bacteria as well as fungi. Both are used not just as a beverage flavoring and medicine, but also as an embalming agent and are used as alternatives to traditional food preservatives due to their effective antimicrobial properties.
For one cup of tea you will need:
1 cup fluoride free filtered water
1 tbsp dried and crushed olive leaves
2 tbsp organic honey
1 tsp organic cinnamon
Bring the water to a boil, add the olive leaves and steep for 10-15 minutes. Strain the leaves from the liquid and add to a cup. Add the honey and cinnamon, stir until the honey has dissolved.
Drink 3 – 4 cups a day for optimal results.
4. Shiitake mushrooms – Contains a natural protease inhibitor, boosts the immune system and is a full spectrum antibiotic. Contains anticancer properties. Add a few into your food.
5. Maitake mushrooms – Great for immune strength, add them into your food just as you would do shiitake mushrooms.
6. Ginger – powerful anti-inflammatory and great for the immune system. Works as a great anti-emetic if you are suffering from nausea or vomiting. Very versatile root and tasty to add into many dishes.
7. Miso – Make some miso soup, very easy to make and full of healthy benefits. Miso is a fermented food and as such, strengthens the immune system by replenishing the supply of beneficial bacteria within your intestinal flora. Strengthens the quality of blood and lymph fluid. Aids in the digestion and assimilation of other foods in the intestines. Contains all essential amino acids, making it a complete protein. Full of good antioxidants and even protects you from radiation damage.
Fermented foods such as miso, kefir, kimchi, sauerkraut etc and probiotics are essential in restoring or maintaining a healthy gut flora. Include in your diet the fermented or probiotic foods of your choice.
8. Water – This is obvious. Drink plenty of fluids when sick to replenish the fluids your body is losing while fighting infection…water people, not soda.
9. Rest – Good sleep is part of the healing process, try to get the most rest as possible when sick.
10. Cannabis (please be aware of the cannabis laws in your state or country to make sure you are not breaking the law while using this medicine) – The ultimate healing plant. Cannabis can be smoked, consumed in edibles or as a juice. Better yet, if you have the possibility of making some cannabis oil (also known as Rick Simpson Oil, make it and use it according to the guidelines specified by Rick Simpson. For more information, visit Rick Simpson’s page on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rick-Simpson or visit http://phoenixtears.ca/
11. Coconut oil – The health benefits of coconut oil include hair care, skin care, stress relief, maintaining cholesterol levels, weight loss, increased immunity, proper digestion and metabolism, relief from kidney problems, heart diseases, high blood pressure, diabetes, immune deficiency and cancer, dental care, and bone strength. These benefits of oil can be attributed to the presence of lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid, and its properties such as antimicrobial, antioxidant, antifungal, antibacterial and soothing properties.
12. Omega 3 fatty acids – Get your daily supply of essential fatty acids which are a very powerful antioxidant from krill oil, fish oil or better yet, hemp seed or flax oil.
13. N-Acetyl Cysteine – A precursor for glutathione, the master antioxidant. A very powerful immune system booster and responsible for detoxification and regulation of many important systems within the body.
14. Echinacea – This wonderful flower possesses powerful immune system strengthening properties and many other medicinal benefits. It has also been proven effective against radiation. This herb also provides anti-candida benefits. It supports your immune system in the fight against candida as well as other infections. Purchase it in supplement or tea form, or grow your own and make the medicine yourself.
15. Lysine – An essential amino acid. L-Lysine is a necessary building block for all protein in the body. L-Lysine plays a major role in calcium absorption; building muscle protein; recovering from surgery or sports injuries; and the body’s production of hormones, enzymes, and antibodies. Purchase L-Lysine supplements or choose to include the following foods into your diet.
Catfish, channel, farmed, raw: 9.19% of the protein is lysine.
Chicken, roasting, meat and skin, cooked, roasted: 8.11% of the protein is lysine.
Beef, ground, 90% lean/10% fat, cooked: 8.31% of the protein is lysine.
Winged Bean (aka Goa Bean or Asparagus Pea), mature seeds, raw: 7.20% of the protein is lysine.
Lentil, pink, raw: 6.97% of the protein is lysine.
Lentil, sprouts, raw: 7.95% of the protein is lysine (sprouting increases the lysine content).
Parmesan cheese, grated: 7.75% of the protein is lysine.
Azuki bean (adzuki beans), mature seeds, raw: 7.53% of the protein is lysine.
Milk, non-fat: 7.48% of the protein is lysine.
Egg (food), whole, raw: 7.27% of the protein is lysine.
Pea, split, mature seeds, raw: 7.22% of the protein is lysine.
Kidney Bean, mature seeds, raw: 6.87% of the protein is lysine.
Chickpea, (garbanzo beans, Bengal gram), mature seeds, raw: 6.69% of the protein is lysine.
Navy Bean, mature seeds, raw: 5.73% of the protein is lysine.
Amaranth, grain, uncooked: 5.17% of the protein is lysine.
Quinoa: 5% of the protein is lysine.
16. Umlingo WamaNgcolosi Juice – Umlingo WamaNgcolosi can be used when suffering from any (chronic) disease as it detoxifies the body and restores the biochemistry. Testimonials exist from people who have used this juice to treat or cure themselves of many conditions. Below is the recipe to make Umlingo for 1 day.
Read the testimonials from people who have used this juice http://www.umlingo.wozaonline.co.za/Testimonies
1. Soak 3 average sized non GE/GMO lemons for about 10 minutes in water with some vinegar or plenty of sea salt added. Then scrub each lemon to rid it of whatever the growers have sprayed on it.
2. Cut the lemons with skin and seeds in pieces and put them in a high powered blender.
3. Add 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
4. Add 3 tablespoons of non GE/GMO garlic
5. Add 3 tablespoons of non GE/GMO ginger (double this amount for people with lung problems / asthma)
6. Add 1 teaspoons of cold pressed hemp seed oil (double for epilepsy & nervous diseases)
7. Add 1 teaspoons of cold pressed flax seed oil
8. Add 1 teaspoons of turmeric powder
9. Add 3 tablespoons of aloe vera extract
10. Add 3 tablespoons of a natural multivitamin/ multi mineral supplement
11. Add ¼ teaspoon of stevia powder.
12. Add 3 cups of ozone enriched filtered water or fresh water if ozone enriched is not available.
13. Blend for 3-4 minutes or until smooth
14. Drink 1/3 in the morning, 1/3 after lunch and 1/3 in the evening.
Repeat this for 6 to 24 weeks non stop, depending on when you feel that you have fully recovered. Then you can maintain your health by eating organic and wholesome. You can also use this juice for maintenance by having one bottle twice a month. A high powered blender must be used in order to achieve a smooth consistency.
17. Milk Thistle – Milk thistle has been reported to have protective effects on the liver and to greatly improve its function. It is typically used to treat liver cirrhosis, chronic hepatitis (liver inflammation), toxin-induced liver damage including the prevention of severe liver damage from Amanita phalloides (‘death cap’ mushroom poisoning), and gallbladder disorders. Along with milk thistle you may also consider dandelion root and artichoke, they also possess great liver detoxing and repairing properties.
18. Ozone – Ozone or O3 is a highly charged oxygen molecule with increased oxygenating properties. It is often administered intravenously, or by injection, though it can be vaporized and inhaled or taken in through anal and vaginal openings. There is some use of ozone by U.S. dentists and medical doctors to prevent infections during surgical procedures, but the FDA taboo for curing with ozone remains.
Active Oxygen’s therapeutic remedial uses are extensive and growing daily. All bacterial, viral and fungal infections are eliminated by Active Oxygen therapy. Heart disease, angina, arteriosclerosis, gangrene, senile dementia, ulcers, varicose veins, arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, diabetes, all forms of cancer, Parkinson’s disease, inflammatory bowel disease, immune deficiency, allergies and asthma are just a few of the conditions that are regularly treated with Active Oxygen.
Active Oxygen allegedly reverses AIDS-related opportunist infections including pulmonary infections such as pneumocytis carinii pneumonia, pulmonary toxoplasmosis, bronchopulmonary candidiasis, pulmonary cryptococcosis, pulmonary and disseminated histoplasmosis, mycobacterium avium complex, cytomegaloviru and herpes simplex, pneumonia, tuberculosis, nocardiosis, pyogenic bacterial pneumonia, and lymphoid interstitial pneumonia.
You may purchase ozone generators for your drinking water and for the air in your home or car as well! Purchase one today and start ozonating! Ozonated water has a wonderful side effect associated with it: it speeds the ripening of vegetables and improves shelf life!
19. Naringenin – Naringenin is a flavanone, a type of flavonoid, that is considered to have a bioactive effect on human health as antioxidant, free radical scavenger, anti-inflammatory, carbohydrate metabolism promoter, and immune system modulator. It is the predominant flavanone in grapefruit. Narigenin has been helpful to some people with hepatitis c.
This substance has also been shown to reduce oxidative damage to DNA in vitro. Scientists exposed cells to 80 micromoles of naringenin per liter, for 24 hours, and found that the amount of hydroxyl damage to the DNA was reduced by 24% in that very short period of time.
Naringenin found in grapefruit juice has been shown to have an inhibitory effect on the human cytochrome P450 isoform CYP1A2, which can change pharmacokinetics in a human (or orthologous) host of several popular drugs in an adverse manner, even resulting in carcinogens of otherwise harmless substances.
Naringenin has also been shown to reduce hepatitis C virus production by infected hepatocytes (liver cells) in cell culture. This seem to be secondary to Naringenin ability to inhibit the secretion of very-low-density lipoprotein by the cells. The antiviral effects of naringenin are currently under clinical investigation.
Naringenin seems to protect LDLR-deficient mice from the obesity effects of a high-fat diet.
Naringenin lowers the plasma and hepatic cholesterol concentrations by suppressing HMG-CoA reductase and ACAT in rats fed a high-cholesterol diet.
Sources and bioavailability
It can be found in grapefruits, oranges and tomatoes (skin).
This bioflavonoid is difficult to absorb on oral ingestion. In the best-case scenario, only 15% of ingested naringenin will get absorbed in the human gastrointestinal tract. A full glass of orange juice will supply about enough naringenin to achieve a blood plasma concentration of about 0.5 micromoles per liter.
The naringenin-7-glucoside form seems less bioavailable than the aglycol form.
Grapefruit juice can provide much higher plasma concentrations of naringenin than orange juice.
Also found in grapefruit is the related compound Kaempferol, which has a hydroxyl group next to the ketone group.
Naringenin can be absorbed from cooked tomato paste.
Use naringenin in suppliment form or eat foods which can provide your body with it.
20. Oregano oil – A powerful natural antimicrobial agent. The oil of the wild oregano plant has been shown to kill unwanted bacteria, fungus, yeast, parasites and viruses. It’s a powerful antihistamine. New research is finding that oil of oregano is as effective against colitis as prescription drugs without the harmful side effects. It is also able to regenerate liver cells.
Here are 36 natural substances which have been studied to help to support our body’s immune system to heal itself.
Manuka honey fights serious infection caused by MRSA
The inhalation of tea catechin appears to suppress MRSA infection in the elderly.
Tea tree topical preparations are superior to standard topical regimen for the clearance ofMRSA colonization.
Garlic and tea have antibacterial activity against Klebsiella, as well as drug resistant strains ofSaphylococci, Enterococci and Psedomonas aeruginosa.
Water extract of garlic has antimicrobical activity against multidrug-resistant bacteria and Candida species, and many other microbials.
The compound found within garlic known as allicin has antibacterial activity against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.
Probiotic therapy has therapeutic value in treating Klebsiella infection in children.
Susceptibility to ear disease in children may be a result of deficiencies of zinc and vitamin A.
Topical nanocrystalline silver dressing may provide an alternative treatment for MRSAinfected wounds to oral antimicrobials.
Cranberry may reduce the risk of urinary tract infections by inhibiting biofilms in the bladder.
Probiotic strains from breast milk are superior to antibiotics in the treatment of infectiousmastitis.
Honey may have a therapeutic role in treating refractory chronic rhinosinusitus.
Honeydew and manuka honey has strong antimicrobial activity against multi-drug resistant pathogens.
Cinnamon verum bark has the highest antimicrobial activity, particularly against antibiotic resistant strains, of 13 essential oils tested.
A number of plant oil extracts inhibit multi-resistant strains of bacteria and yeast.
Clove, guava and lemongrass exhibit the highest synergism rate with antimicrobial drugs.
Thyme and Eucalyptus oil have antibacterial activity against MRSA isolates.
Compounds isolated from Bay leaf have anti-MRSA activity.
The essential oil of dill and peppermint enhances the antimicrobial activity of nitrofurantoin against enterobacteria.
Grape seed extract has bactericidal effects on MRSA.
A combination of Citricidal (grapefruit seed extract) and geranium oil showed the greatest anti-bacterial effects against MRSA.
Rosemary has activity against drug-resistant bacterial and fungal pathogens.
Propolis exhibits antimicrobial effects on Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus strains resistant to various antibiotics and some microorganisms.
Cumin essential oil exhibits anti-Klebsiella activity.
Green tea exhibits anti-MRSA activity.
Mango seed kernel extract may potentially be useful as an alternative therapeutic agent or an adjunctive therapy along with penicillin G in the treatment of MRSA infections.
Wormwood, tarragon and eucalyptus contain the compound pipertone which reduces antibiotic resistance against Enterobacter cloacae.
Alpinia galanga contains a compound with activity against multi-drug resistant bacteria.
Elecampane (Inula helenium) has potent antisaphylococcal activity, including against MRSA.
Lavender oil has antimicrobial activity against methicillin-sensitive and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.
Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG inhibits invasion of cultured human respiratory cells bymacrolide-resistant group A streptococci.
Lime has potent antibacterial activity against multiple drug resistant E. coli.
Nigella sativa has anti-bacterial activity against clinical isolates of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus.
Nutmeg contains a compound with potent anti-biofilm activity against oral bacteria.
Olive leaf extract demonstrates antimicrobial activity against Campylobacter jejuni, Helicobacter pylori and Staphylococcus aureus [including meticillin-resistant S. aureus (MRSA)].
Cinnamon and Oregano, containing cinnamaldehyde and carvacrol, respectively, exhibitpowerful antimicrobial activity against antibiotic-resistant strains of Campylobacter jejuni isolates.