Moderate earthquake in the San Fransisco Bay Area (epicenter at East Richmond Heights)
Last update: March 5, 2012 at 3:47 pm by By Armand Vervaeck and James Daniell
Most important Earthquake Data:
Magnitude : 4.0
UTC Time : Monday, March 05, 2012 at 13:33:12 UTC
Local time at epicenter : Monday, March 05, 2012 at 05:33:12 AM at epicenter
Depth (Hypocenter) : 8.8 km (5.5 miles)
2 km (1 miles) N (1°) from El Cerrito, CA
2 km (1 miles) SE (137°) from East Richmond Heights, CA
4 km (2 miles) E (96°) from Richmond, CA
7 km (4 miles) NNW (341°) from Berkeley, CA
Update 14:55 UTC
– El Cerrito police reported not having received any damage or injury reports.
– An aftershock was reported near the epicenter about 30 minutes later.
– Luckily, still NO reports of damage or injuries
Update 14:41 UTC
BART trains were halted temporarily and service soon resumed.
Update 14:40 UTC
Coordinates released by the U.S. Geological Survey place the epicenter at the Mira Vista Golf and Country Club along the Hayward Fault, which runs through the East Bay hills. The Hayward Fault is considered by many seismologists to be a prime candidate for a major earthquake. The 2010 update of the report, “On Shaky Ground,” by the Association of Bay Area Governments, reported that there’s an estimated 62 percent probability of a destructive quake of magnitude 6.7 or greater in the Bay Area in the years 2003-2032.
Update 14:32 UTC
Update 14:29 UTC
– Based on the current reported shaking values, earthquake-report.com does not expect to see major damage during this earthquake. We do not exclude cracks in walls, objects falling from shelves etc.
Update 14:24 UTC
– The fault line were today’s earthquake took place is the same as the one which was responsible for a number of other quakes from the preceding months.
Update 14:10 UTC
– 27,000 people will have experienced a strong shaking (East Richmond Heights and El Cerrito)
– 276,000 people a moderate shaking (MMI V) (Kensington, Albany, El Sobrante and Richmond)
– This earthquake will probably not lead to any damage but it surely must have been scary so early in the morning