(Natural News) As far as sweeteners go, honey has been around for thousands of years and has been used as a food and a potent natural remedy. Unfortunately, like most foods produced today, the potency has been greatly diminished through various processing techniques and profitable short cuts that have left many honeys devoid of enzymes and nutrients and filled with GMOs like high fructose corn syrup (HFCS).
The good news is there are high quality honeys on the market today, that are raw and sustainably sourced so they benefit you and the bee population. Arguably, the most potent honey with the most medicinal benefits is Manuka honey, and there are several health benefits to using it internally and topically.
Health benefits and uses for Manuka honey
Put simply, Manuka honey is from bees that pollinate the Manuka bush. What makes it unique is the naturally occurring methylglyoxal (MGO) which forms in the flower’s nectar and is believed to be primarily responsible for its magnificent health benefits. Some of those benefits include:
- Relieves occasional sleeplessness – Manuka honey supports a more deep and restful sleep. Add some to a warm tea like chamomile in the evening to help usher you into a more peaceful bedtime routine.
- Supports healthy digestion – A good Manuka honey can support healthy digestive function. Get some in every day by making this amazing smoothie.
- Supports healthy immune function – Due to the MGO contained in Manuka honey, the immune-boosting capabilities exceed that of regular honey.
- Rich in antioxidants – Since Manuka honey is very high in antioxidants, it can provide protection against dangerous free radicals.
- Supports skin health – Apply it directly to your face as a mask or with other skin rejuvenating nutrients to leave your skin refreshed and rejuvenated.
- Helps defend against seasonal and environmental threats – Using Manuka honey on a consistent basis will help naturally guard you against external threats by supporting immunity.
- May help support healing of minor burns or scratches – For centuries, Manuka honey has been used as a remedy for minor scratches and mild burns. Simply apply directly to the affected area, and cover with a bandage or dressing.
- Helps boost your vitality – The nutrient-dense profile of Manuka honey can help boost your overall energy. Combine with bee pollen and put on oatmeal or in a smoothie.
- Supports good oral health – Put a little bit directly on your toothbrush!