Very Strong but Very Deep earthquake in the Izu Islands region, Japan
Last update: September 4, 2013 at 1:28 am by By Ashish Khanal
Update 01:02 UTC : JMA JApan reports a Magnitude of M6.9 but also very deep at 400 km = the hot solid mantle of the earth. Harmless.
Very deep earthquakes cannot generate tsunamis. Maximum shaking was a JMA 4 at Iwanuma-shi Sakura*
JMA 4 shaking = * Most people are startled.
* Hanging objects such as lamps swing significantly.
* Unstable ornaments may fall.
Based on our experience with Japanese earthquakes, earthquake-report.com considers JMA 5+ intensity as a potentially dangerous shaking.
Very strong but also very deep earthquake in the Izu Islands region, but far enough from populated islands and the mainland to remain harmless. The depth has the consequence that this earthquake was felt in a wide radius, even in Tokyo (637 km).
- 356km (221mi) SSW of Hachijo-jima, Japan
- 494km (307mi) SSE of Shingu, Japan
- 514km (319mi) S of Oyama, Japan
- 515km (320mi) SSE of Owase, Japan
- 637km (396mi) S of Tokyo, Japan
Most important Earthquake Data:
Magnitude : 6.4
Local Time (conversion only below land) : Unknown
GMT/UTC Time : 2013-09-04 00:18:24
Depth (Hypocenter) : 420 km